La Leche League (pronounced la LAY-chay), or LLL, is an organization founded in 1956 by seven women who wanted to make breastfeeding easier and more rewarding for parents and child. The organization offers information and encouragement–primarily through personal help from accredited Leaders–to those families who want to breastfeed/chestfeed their babies.
La Leche League is active in 60 countries, reaching more than 100,000 mothers monthly. LLL International is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) in consultative status with UNICEF, is an NGO in official relations with the World Health Organization (WHO), is an accredited member of the US Healthy Mothers/Healthy Babies Coalition, and is a founding member of the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA).
La Leche League offers breastfeeding support and information through:
- Monthly discussion groups
- Help from experienced Leaders, 608.616-9978 or LLLMadisonChapter@gmail.com.
- Lending library with books on breastfeeding, childbirth, parenting, and nutrition.
- Books for sale, including our book, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. This book offers practical help, such as how often to nurse, how long at each feeding, and how to increase milk supply.
- More than 60 years experience providing peer-to-peer help.
Whether you breastfeed/chestfeed your baby 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, a year or longer, you’ll find LLL groups supportive and informative.
What happens at La Leche League groups?
Our Monthly groups discuss:
Breastfeeding: The Healthy Choice
At Home With Your New Baby
Art of Breastfeeding & Avoiding Difficulties
Nutrition & Weaning
LLL groups have informal discussions. Parents bring their questions and concerns about breastfeeding/chestfeeding. There is also a planned topic of discussion that covers the practical, physical, and psychological aspects of breastfeeding. Children are always welcome.
What is a La Leche League Leader?
La Leche League Leaders are experienced parents who are accredited by La Leche League International to help parents and parents-to-be with all aspects of breastfeeding/chestfeeding. La Leche League Leaders are available for phone calls whenever a parent has breastfeeding/chestfeeding questions that cannot wait until the next meeting.
We are happy to talk with you, so please don’t hesitate to call! All breastfeeding help is completely confidential. Since we are parents, as well as volunteers, working from our own homes, we do appreciate your efforts to time your calls accordingly.
How can I become a La Leche League Leader?
Find out more about how you can make a difference with breastfeeding/chestfeeding families in our community and volunteer with La Leche League. See this link for more information or contact a local La Leche League Leader in your area.
Who are La Leche League Members?
Members of La Leche League care about giving their babies breastmilk. Parents who become members nurse longer because LLLI has developed a worldwide network of caring mothers with experience who share information, support, and encouragement. With a LLL Membership the benefits also include:
The $25 Supporting Membership includes:
- Meeting new people in the Madison area community and gaining self-confidence as you learn from other mothers.
- Providing funds for our breastfeeding helpline, pamphlets, postage, and continuing education for Leaders.
- Ensuring that breastfeeding support will continue to be available for future breastfeeding parents!
The $40 Regular Membership includes, in addition to the above benefits:
- The most recent edition of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, a wonderful addition to your personal library, a handy reference tool, and makes a great baby gift!
If you are interested in becoming a LLL Member, please consider joining locally to ensure that part of your donation remains here for local breastfeeding support. Membership is 100% tax-deductible. Please contact a Leader if you are interested in joining to support LLL of Madison.
La Leche League is a nonprofit organization entirely supported by donations, memberships and sales of materials.
All donations to La Leche League are 100% tax-deductible.